Sunday, July 24, 2011

Where Do We Get Our Worth?

            Today was a very gloomy day in south Yuma County. It was overcast humid and just generally one of those days I’d rather stay in bed and feel depressed. It felt like something bad was just lurking beneath the surface. Rain should have been arriving any second, but was holding off.

            Then, I checked my face book account.  I came face-to-face with the reality that family relationships are both the most joyous and most frustrating gift God has given us. My family, for the most part, takes pride in being traditional, at least, in the idea that the man of the house is the “provider”. The following scriptures come to mind almost immediately. One clearly stating, (if you will allow me to paraphrase) “If you don’t work buddy, don’t expect to eat at my table.” The other saying, (still paraphrasing) “Anybody who does not provide for his family is a godless BUM, and has turned his back of the faith.”

2 Thessalonians 3:9-11 “Not because we have not power, but to make ourselves an ensample unto you to follow us. For even when we were with you, this we commanded you, that if any would not work, neither should he eat. For we hear that there are some which walk among you disorderly, working not at all, but are busybodies.” (KJV)

1 Timothy 5:8 “But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel.” (KJV)

            OK, I’ll admit those scriptures taken in isolation are pretty condemning. If all a person did was sit home and expect to be taken care of by someone else. However, Jesus told his disciples to go from town to town sharing the “Good News” without thought of what they would eat or even what they would wear. 

Luke 9:1-3 “Then he called his twelve disciples together, and gave them power and authority over all devils, and to cure diseases. And he sent them to preach the kingdom of God, and to heal the sick. And he said unto them, Take nothing for your journey, neither staves, nor scrip, neither bread, neither money; neither have two coats apiece.” (KJV) 

            As children of God in a materialistic culture we face the dilemma of chasing after possessions or chasing after the “Kingdom of God”. We are not called to live in poverty but neither are we to spend our lives building our fortunes. Luke chapter 12 verses 15 through 20 graphically depict the outcome of that lifestyle. I believe there can be a healthy balance in our lives. The key is finding our worth as a member of God’s family.

            Each of us has been given various talents. Some are builders, some are teachers, some are homemakers, some caregivers, and this list can be as varied as the number of individuals reading this post. The only thing that matters is recognizing God made you who you are and He has a place for you within His family. Define your worth not based on what you do, but rather who you are in Christ.

Luke 12:15-20 “And he said unto them, Take heed, and beware of covetousness: for a man's life consisteth not in the abundance of the things which he possesseth. And he spake a parable unto them, saying, The ground of a certain rich man brought forth plentifully: And he thought within himself, saying, What shall I do, because I have no room where to bestow my fruits? And he said, This will I do: I will pull down my barns, and build greater; and there will I bestow all my fruits and my goods. And I will say to my soul, Soul, thou hast much goods laid up for many years; take thine ease, eat, drink, and be merry. But God said unto him, Thou fool, this night thy soul shall be required of thee: then whose shall those things be, which thou hast provided?” (KJV) 

            Again we are reminded, life is more than food and we are more than what we wear. You will be blessed,  I  will be blessed, the world will be transformed when we find our worth in our Creator and His plan for us.

Luke 12:21-23 “So is he that layeth up treasure for himself, and is not rich toward God. And he said unto his disciples, Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat; neither for the body, what ye shall put on. The life is more than meat, and the body is more than raiment.” (KJV)

            I can see right now I should have started writing this post sooner, but life gets in the way some times. Attending early service at church, a marriage ministries meeting in the afternoon, and the traditional Sunday nap has put me behind my time schedule. But, with God’s help I’ll get this posted while it is still today. Allow me to close with this thought.

Proverbs 22:29 “Do you see a man skilled in his work? He will stand before kings; He will not stand before obscure men.” (NASB)

            God has given each of us the skill to do the job He desires of us. That job is contributing an every way to His family and building His Eternal Kingdom. Our worth is found in Christ. We are serving before the King Of Kings. He will take care of our wages both here and in eternity.

No comments:

Post a Comment